The police service has denied claims that there has been a surge in cases of insecurity in Nairobi and other parts of the country.
Speaking to the media on November 10, Nairobi Regional Commander James Mugera said the cases of insecurity have indeed decreased, terming allegations as sensational.
Mugera added that the sentiments were meant to incite Kenyans against the new administration but added there had been no gap in leadership whatsoever.
“What changed is the leadership and, more so, the political leadership. We have a new president, a new parliament, new ministers, PSs and all that. But the mainstream public service and the police service have always been working. There was no lacuna whatsoever,”
“Reports are meant to tarnish the new administration,” said Mugera.
The police boss further blamed the mainstream and social media for the discussion on the matter, saying it creates more panic while the information shared is not actual.
“As a result of these reports going on and being repeated over and over again, both in print media and social media and even in other forms of reporting, people tend to think that crime has really gone up,” said Mugera.
However, the Azimio La Umoja One Kenya coalition boss Raila Odinga has accused President Ruto’s government of laxity for the failure to do due diligence in protecting Kenyans.
“A general sense of lawlessness is taking shape. Our security appears to have deteriorated overnight, with widespread incidents of daylight crimes, making families lose their loved ones to thugs in broad daylight, particularly in Nairobi,” said Raila.
Raila also said the Westlands eviction, where a family lost property worth KSh. 80 million to a rogue auctioneer is part of the new government’s misuse of power and a reintroduction of the notorious olden days.
Email your news TIPS to email@example.com