21 constituencies will lose millions in allocations from the National Government Constituencies Development Fund (NG-CDF) in the new cash distribution formula for the Ksh44 billion allocated in the kitty for the financial year 2022-2023.
NG-CDF Kitty is intended for community development initiatives that are within the jurisdiction of the government. This covers educational bursaries as well as security-related initiatives.
The National Government Development Fund (Amendment) Bill, 2019, which would see the 290 constituencies equally split 75% of the annual allocation, with the remaining 25% distributed based on the number of wards in each constituency, is being amended, and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) informed MPs.
According to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission’s (IEBC) segmentation of electoral regions, there are 1,450 wards in the 290 constituencies. Only 21 of the 290 constituencies have three wards, which lowers their allocative efficiency in sharing 25 percent of the total annual allocation of the NG-CDF fund.
“Constituencies with 3 wards which is the minimum number of wards will be greatly affected by the formula as they will be getting Ksh131 million yet initially it was equal. It’s not fair but according to the law passed in Parliament in June and they have decided to use the formula away from the previous one which was the equal amount,” Sirisia MP John Walukhe said.
The highest number of wards in the delimitation done by the poll authority is 8, which will benefit greatly from the current distribution formula of the NGCDF kitty as they will receive an allocation of Ksh165 million, down from Ksh137 million previously.
The NG-CDF Act, 2015 was amended to resolve the act’s unconstitutionality, which posed a risk to the NGCDF kitty. The model takes into account the fact that the constituency’s needs and levels of poverty differ.
“It’s unfortunate that some constituencies will receive less funding, though this is fair given that it all depends on the population you would be serving. This will address problems like urban poverty,” Yussuf Hassan, Kamkunji MP, said.
Baringo Central, Embakasi, Bomachoge Chache, and Gichugu, Githunguri, Gigil, and Webuye East will receive the greatest sums of money, according to a schedule for the distribution of the Ksh41 billion under the revised sharing formula. Tiaty, Mwingi North, Jomvu, and Laisamis are some of the districts where funding has been reduced.
Email your news TIPS to email@example.com