Sharp Daily
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
  • Business
    • Banking
  • Investments
  • Technology
  • Startups
  • Real Estate
  • Features
  • Appointments
  • About Us
    • Meet The Team
Sharp Daily
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
  • Business
    • Banking
  • Investments
  • Technology
  • Startups
  • Real Estate
  • Features
  • Appointments
  • About Us
    • Meet The Team
No Result
View All Result
Sharp Daily
No Result
View All Result
Home News

High fertilizer uptake despite fake fertilizer controversy, says PS Rono

Brenda Murungi by Brenda Murungi
April 16, 2024
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read

The fertiliser subsidy program has been facing challenges for the past few weeks with counterfeit products, which the government is actively seizing. Despite this issue, Agriculture Principal Secretary Paul Rono noted that fertilizer usage has risen, contributing to an uptick in the 2023 maize yield. However, unscrupulous traders continue to exploit farmers.

Rono announced the government’s plan to distribute 12.5 million bags of fertilizer this year, allocating 7.5 million bags for the long rainy season and the remaining five million bags for the short rainy season. Currently, 2.4 million bags of subsidized fertilizer have been distributed to farmers nationwide for the March-April-May planting period.

“Last year, we distributed 5.8 million bags and due to the fertiliser subsidy, production increased from 34 million bags to 61 million bags. We are expecting to hit 100 million bags this year,” the PS said.

The PS further said the government has started compensating farmers who had bought the substandard fertiliser.

“The government has fixed the problem of fake fertiliser and farmers have started receiving compensation. We ask farmers who may have received the fake fertiliser to come to our stores so we can replace it with genuine one,” he added.

RELATEDPOSTS

Kenya’s Sh300 million Crypto capital rule could push startups toward the exit

August 13, 2026

Kenya bids to host 2029 World Athletics Championships

August 11, 2026

Joseph Kimote, the managing director of the National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB), reassured farmers that the problem of the 60,000 bags of substandard fertilizer has been resolved. He also stated that NCPB has expanded its operations by opening more than 200 selling centers nationwide, a significant increase from the 50 centers operational last year.

Kipkorir Menjo, chairman of the Kenya Farmers Association, praised the subsidy fertilizer program as a beneficial initiative that, if managed effectively, can significantly boost food production. He emphasized the importance of empowering farmers to achieve food security and meet both local and export market demands.

Menjo highlighted the need for counties in North Rift and South Rift regions, such as Elgeyo Marakwet, Uasin Gishu, Nandi, Trans Nzoia, Kericho, Bomet, and Narok, to organize their fertilizer procurement independently to avoid delays.

He suggested that addressing such issues at the county level could improve efficiency. Additionally, Menjo urged the government to implement policy frameworks that discourage the subdivision of high-production areas into smaller, less efficient plots, emphasizing the benefits of larger consolidated areas for cultivation.

Previous Post

Kenya to host Africa fertilizer summit

Next Post

President Ruto replaces Mwende Mueke with Veronica Nduva for EAC Secretary General Role

Brenda Murungi

Brenda Murungi

Related Posts

News

The role of investment research in identifying mispriced assets

August 17, 2026
News

How Influencers Are Reshaping the Economics of Business Growth

August 14, 2026
News

CBK Holds Rates

August 14, 2026
News

Kenya Stablecoin Regulations Shape Digital Finance

August 14, 2026
News

Circle Arc Blockchain Validators Reshape Institutional Finance

August 14, 2026
News

Stablecoin Treasury Infrastructure Reshapes African Corporate Finance

August 14, 2026

LATEST STORIES

YouTube to count views from the first frame starting August 24

August 18, 2026

Kenya’s Sh1 trillion trade deficit: Why the import bill is becoming a bigger problem

August 18, 2026
John Mbadi, Kenya's treasury secretary, during an interview in Nairobi, Kenya, on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2025. Kenya is in talks with China to convert dollar-denominated debt the East African nation owes its biggest bilateral lender to yuan and extend the repayment period, Mbadi said. Photographer: Kang-Chun Cheng/Bloomberg via Getty Images

Treasury’s Sh78.6 billion tax cut: relief or more government borrowing?

August 17, 2026

YouTube doubles watch hour requirements for partner program

August 17, 2026

NSSF Eyes Global Markets

August 17, 2026

The role of investment research in identifying mispriced assets

August 17, 2026

Can Kenya’s Tobacco Laws Keep Up With New Nicotine Products?

August 14, 2026

How Influencers Are Reshaping the Economics of Business Growth

August 14, 2026
  • About Us
  • Meet The Team
  • Careers
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
Email us: editor@thesharpdaily.com

Sharp Daily © 2024

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Politics
  • Business
    • Banking
  • Investments
  • Technology
  • Startups
  • Real Estate
  • Features
  • Appointments
  • About Us
    • Meet The Team

Sharp Daily © 2024